Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 31 - 37

Day 31

Avoiding bad weather, we stayed another day at Uncle Johnny's hostel. We took advantage of Erwin's movie theater and watched Rango. Erwin's a creepy town because it has over 60 Baptist churches. Two other thru-hiker's joined us at the hostel. Atlas (Ryan) with his dog Tug, and Renaissance (Patrick).

Day 32

We hiked 17 miles through snow into Cherry Gap Shelter. It was wet and cold.

Day 33

This day we tackled Roan Mtn. It was also our first 20+ mile day. The sun was out in force, melting the snow. But, slushy snow is worse than new snow because your boots (and socks) get socked. Goretex just doesn't cut it! We walked 22.5 miles, over rough terrain, and stayed at Overmountain Shelter. This shelter is a huge barn, with a fully enclosed second floor. It was nice and warm. That night Paul caught a huge mouse with his mousetrap.

Day 34

We were all tired from Roan. Nonetheless we hiked 18 miles to Mountainer Shelter. I really like how we are increasing our daily mileage. Halfway to the shelter, we attempted to grab lunch at a diner down the road. It was fail. Depite advertising on the trail, the place was closed. Paul, however, was determined, and set off alone down the road in search of another restaurant. Mo and I pushed on. Mountainer Shelter is brand new and pretty sweet. It comes with three floors and a carved wooden bear statue! And don't forget the wash pit!!! Paul joined us two hours later with an extra super large bacon burger. Although he walked an extra 4-6 miles, it looked like it was worth it.

Day 35

Easy day. We walked 15.6 miles to Kincora Hostel. Owned by the legendary Bob Peoples, Kincora is a must-stay on the AT. Bob gave us a ride into town for resupply. Kincora has a fully equipped hiker kitchen, and we took advantage of it. Digiorno pizza and Ego waffles sure are delicious! Bob recently went on this awesome thru-hike in Spain. It's called the path of St. James. 500 miles long through historic monastery after monastery. One day I will do this hike! Bob also told us that the AT is being expanded. Eventually it will go from the bottom of Florida, into Canada, and end in the Arctic. As if the AT wasn't epic already. Bob's best advice concerning the AT, "You have to be flexible." True story. At Kincora we also met the thru-hiker Bastard Catfish and his dog Trashguts. It's only a matter of time until I have a trail dog of my own.

Day 36

The next day was 17.8 miles with a side of rain. We witnessed the awesome Laurel Fork Falls and the magnificent Watauga Lake. The night was spent in Vanderventer Shelter.

Day 37

The plan was to hike 22.7 miles into Abington Shelter. What actually happened was a 32.5 mile hike into Damascus with Subway for dinner. Although the terrain was easy (mostly downhill), 30+ miles is no joke. At days end everyone's feet hurt. We stayed the night at Mt Rodgers Hostel.

Incredibly Mike lost 41 pounds in four weeks of hiking the AT. So far I've only lost about 8 pounds. Mike's trail name is Dragon because of this ridiculous bright green rain poncho he bought. I've decided that my trail name will constantly change. For a short while I was Captain Gluttony, then I became Captain America, and later Captain Get Some. People on the AT take trail names seriously. I told some dude that I purposely change my trail name and he got this look on his face like he wanted to either vomit or lynch me. But you got to have fun with it. Today I'm Captain Irish. I finished reading the New Testament. I like it. The book makes a lot more sense than the crap taught and followed in every religious church I've been in. I wish more people would read for themselves. Anyway, Damascus is quite nice. I still like Franklin better. The date is March 17th, 2011. It's St Patrick's Day, and I am craving some green beer ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Wow it sounds like you are kicking ass! I wish i was there, it looks amazing. Cant wait to see new pics and new stories.

    ReplyDelete