Friday, June 24, 2011

Day 130 - 136 (100 Mile Wilderness + Katahdin)

Day 130

We almost took a zero day, but instead managed to walk 3 miles into "The 100 Mile Wilderness" and stay the night at Leeman Brook Lean-to. A lot of beer was consumed before we left. I did some backflips into the lake (I also smacked my back on the water). That night, Paul jumped off of the shelter (I have no idea why, it's a 10 ft drop), but thankfully did not break his feet.

Day 131

23 miles to Chairback Gap Lean-to. Paul and Ward didn't make it to this shelter, and I didn't see them again until The Birches, just before Katahdin. It rained hard twice. The second time was a serious thunder storm, in which Ice Axe and I were on top of a mountain. Luckily lightning didn't strike us!

All throughout the 100 mile wilderness we came across Sobo hikers. A Sobo is a thru-hiker that starts at Katahdin and hikes to Georgia. 90% of them looked lost. Paul said it best, describing them as "deer in the headlights." I wanted to give them advice, like how to reduce their 50-70 lb packs to 30 lb ones. But they're very stubborn. I also shared information about upcoming hostels and towns. And I always told them good luck, because they're going to need it.

Day 132

28.8 miles to Cooper Brook Falls Lean-to. Finally, after 2,100 miles the Appalachian Trail is flat. The last stretch of the 100 mile wilderness is known as the "yellow brick road" to Katahdin. It was easy.

Day 133

29.6 miles to Rainbow Stream Lean-to. On the way I stopped at The White House Landing, a hunter lodge that sells delicious 1 lb burgers. Mmmmmmm. I also bought a bunch of food from their store. Later on, at the shelter I met a Sobo who had seen the Youtube AT interview of Paul and myself. "What one man can do another can do!" We're famous! Very cool.

Day 134

24.9 miles to The Birches Camp Ground. Right before entering Baxter State Park I was greeted with a suburb view of Mt Katahdin. It felt exciting, weird, and crazy to be almost done.

Paul and Ward finally caught up with me at The Birches. We found out that Ice Axe and James had climbed Katahdin the day before. The day before last Paul hiked abour 43 miles. Even crazyer is James who hiked a whopping 52.2 miles the day before he finished. Insane!

Day 135 (The Final Day of Hiking!!!!!!)

Katahdin is no joke. This mountain is a serious climb. Not only do you gain 4,000 ft in 5 miles but most of the time you're scrambling over huge boulders. Katahdin is forsure the hardest climb on the AT. Nevertheless, carried by excitement and adrenaline, we flew up that mountain. There was a big group of people at the summit. I silently walked between the crowd, reached the sign, threw my one trekking pole, slapped the sign with both hands, threw my pack, and declared "IT'S OVER!" Katahdin is beautiful. It's all above treeline, and we had perfect weather. Without my pack I hiked the knife edge, which is ridge line famous for being narrow that continues down the other side of the mountain.

I got a ride from Paul and his dad and stayed the night at the hostel in Milinocket. There we met up with Ice Axe. He shaved his beard and cut his hair - it was hard to recognize him!

Day 136

Things worked out for me to make a quick exit. I booked a flight and shared a ride to Bangor. A restuarant at the airport sold live lobsters and packed them up for you to take on the plane. Only in Maine! Flying home was pretty smooth. My parents picked me up from the airport. It's great to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment